Header

Header

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A War of Witches

I'm going to start by saying, the library is a dangerous place to find New Age books. While having returned the previous book, I happened to find a new one. The book wasn't on my list at all, but I'm really glad I picked it up. In a weird sense, it was almost like the book found me, as it was perfect for what I needed. To my surprise, the book is another Nonfiction one. When I picked it up, I was quite sure it was Fiction, but it's actually a person's journey and studies while in San Martin. The author, Timothy Knab, at the time, was an anthropologist studying the ways of the Aztecs. The book, is a story of his own journey in discovering the way of the curanderos.

Book Link
A War of Witches starts as many personal journeys do, with overhearing something one was not meant to hear.  Timothy overhears one of the curanderos, healers, discussing ways to capture someones soul. The methods reveal that witchcraft is indeed real for the residents of San Martin. With curiosity, and a bit of reluctance, Timothy is soon introduced into this culture. He becomes an active participant in the ways of the curanderos. Each chapter reveals a part of this journey, often through interpreted dreams. What lies at the end of the journey isn't just the truth about San Martin's past, but Timothy's own future as one of the curanderos.

Perhaps one of the most intriguing parts of the book, is the character of Cruz. For Timothy, Cruz acts somewhat like a spirit guide. Cruz shows Timothy the paths through the Underworld. What makes this so fascinating, is the secrecy Cruz reveals. One never mentions the names of those seen in the Underworld, but Timothy can't help but want to learn more about him. Throughout the book, the more that is revealed about Cruz, the more we learn about the history and legacy of San Martin. I could not help but feel an affinity for Cruz myself, and often began asking the same questions throughout the book. All is revealed though, and yet there is still that sense of mystery.

From a Pagan perspective, this book is fascinating. The journey of the author is one, I feel, we all can relate to. Timothy went from skeptic, to a curandero, all within a rather short time frame. The book also reveals that witchcraft is not always good, but it is meant to be balanced. In fact, I think the book demonstrates a somewhat darker side to ancient witchcraft. This darker side isn't usually seen today, at least not by those that practice newer forms of witchcraft. What the book reveals though is intriguing, and something worth exploring. The book is easy to read, and quite impossible to put down right from the start. All in all, I would definitely recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment